Thursday, May 18, 2006

Podding along

I have always been a massive consumer of media. It's probably what got me into public relations. When my friends were listening to AC-DC, I was listening to talk radio. When I had a job that required a lot of windshield time, I became a regular listener of audiobooks. I always had a shower radio so I could catch the local news every morning before I got out and started watching CNBC.

But, my busy schedule frequently does not mesh with the media schedule so that I can watch what I want, when I want to. Many others are in the same boat and that's why the DVR has proliferated so quickly: it puts the consumer in charge of the schedule. That's also why I like podcasts so much. I subscribe to my favorite podcasts on iTunes, which downloads the latest episodes to my computer. I then copy them to my mp3 player and listen to them whenever and wherever I desire. I listen while I'm driving, cleaning the house, mowing the lawn and biking or running.

Podcasts also remove the geographic restrictions that limit content that can be played on local radio. My two favorite podcasts are Across the Sound and For Immediate Release. They are about new media marketing and public relations and technology, respectively. Not exactly topics that would draw radio advertisers in Sioux Falls, but both have carved out large audiences in the podosphere. By the way, the two of them did a Mashup (joint podcast) a few weeks ago that you can listen to here. I'm hoping that its the first of many. To find your favorite podcast, try iTunes or podcast.net.

Now, you can reach that nationwide network of distributors with broadcast information that they can consume on their own terms. Your niche radio show might find an even bigger audience as a podcast. You're only limited by your imagination...so start imagining.

No comments: